You likely have heard about the need for a survival kit, but exactly what items should you have in your kit for an emergency?
Your kit should be small enough to carry, it should be made of tough materials, and it should be waterproof, or at least water repellent.
Contents depend on where you are located or traveling, but fall into six categories; first aid, water purification, knife, food, shelter, and fire starting.
What does this look like in your kit? Here are some recommendations:
- Fish hooks and line
- Waterproof matches
- Striking-type first starter
- Solar blanket
- Water purification tablets or filter
- Signalling mirror
- Small compass
- Survival or hunting knife
- Swiss Army knife or multi-blade knife
- Small first-aid kit with butterfly sutures, surgical knife and tweezers
- Razor blades
- Several gallon-size strong ziplock bags
- Parachute cord
In my next article, I’ll explain how some of these items can be used in a survival situation and importantly, how they may help save your life.
Kevin Lee McIver